Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Nature Log Sensory Box


Nature Log Sensory Box
-Natural colored felt piece
-Wood log or branch
-Silk leaves
-Bark pieces (from the front yard)
-Fake snow (leftover from Christmas) -optional
-Plush Forest animals

I started with the sandy colored felt piece that just fits in the bottom of my Build-a-Box. Then I found a log piece that was more like a piece of kindling. The one I used was cedar, but any kind of clean, wood chunk should work well. I pulled some extra silk leaves off of flower stems and because there always seems to be so many extras, I made a large Ziploc bag full of different types of leaves that I can use anytime I need a leaf for one of my boxes. I then gathered some bark pieces from the front yard (which I now also keep in a small Ziploc bag) and placed them in front of the log in my Build-a-Box. I then scattered fake snow over the entire log, leaves and bark. I used several different types of forest animals. The ones pictured are Ty Beanie Baby SARGE (a German Shepard),  STINKIE the skunk, and a mini chipmunk puppet made by Folkmanis. 

For my chipmunk box I took out the snow and added nuts. I used walnuts here, but sometimes I use acorns too. I am always very careful when I use any type of nut since some children are highly allergic to them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment