Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Build-a-Box River Frogs Sensory Box



Build-a-Box 

As a preschool teacher I discovered very quickly that I personally needed more hands than I had available… and if I had a tail I would put it to use too. Since I always arrived at work with both hands and arms overflowing, I devised a way to transport some of my activities in a manageable way. I created a Build-a-Box system for myself. They are basically a mini, sensory box or activity that I can make and take. The kids love them and they look forward to seeing what is new every day.  

I started with a clear, Really Useful Box ® that is about 12”x 14” that I got at Staples. It has a nice tight fitting lid that snaps shut. It also has a nice flat bottom that works well for these activities. They stack very tightly in a small space and are easy to carry several at a time. I am sure that there are other types of boxes that would work well, so don’t let the type of box hold you back. A flat cardboard box could be used if that is what you have available.  

For my nature boxes I cut out a piece of felt that just fits in the bottom. I made several of these in different natural colors. I like light blue, sandy brown, dark brown and different shades of greens. For the base layer of the river box I used felt by the yard that I purchased at a fabric/craft store. I cut this piece out to just fit in the bottom of the box.

For the smaller pieces I just used a felt square and cut through them a little off center lengthwise with a wavy pattern (I cut them off center so they would be different in size so each of them could have a different use).

Then I gathered together my sensory objects. I like little baskets to keep them in, but they certainly could be places directly into the Build-a-Box. I make sure that all items in my box are age appropriate to the child. I am especially watchful of chocking hazards when I am making these for younger children. 

River Frogs Sensory Box
- Rocks
- Plastic Frogs
-Turtles
-Greenery

It all fits neatly into the box and is ready to go anywhere I need to take it.


No comments:

Post a Comment